Re: [Tigers] Stinkin NPT adapters....@ wits end.

To: "'Samouce's'" <wsamouce@kc.rr.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Stinkin NPT adapters....@ wits end.
From: "Jerry & Maureen \(Mo\)" <JCMC2006@suddenlink.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 23:03:58 -0500
Pipe fittings aren't designed to sit flush when installed.  Now if you
wanted it to set down more flush you have to use the proper pipe tap to make
the hole a little bigger so the fitting screws down further. This can be a
very slippery slope, because pipe connections are tapered and if you start
going deeper you take the chance of going too deep then your fitting will
never seal. The only option then is to start over with the next larger size
pipe size.  If you are familiar with pipe tapes you know there is a BIG
difference in the sizes, going from 1/8 to 1/4 to 3/8 to 1/2 there are big
jumps in the sizes.

Any time I have ever seen a pipe joint flush is because someone has done a
very bad job of tapping the hole, going far too deep. The very principal of
a pipe joint is the taper effect where the deeper the fitting goes the
tighter it gets.

Now, it's true that if you were very "careful" and taped it just the right
depth, so that when the fitting got to the tightest point and you were flush
it would work. But I'll say it again they aren't design to be flush like
something that has straight threads.

Also be sure to use "pipe joint compound" on the threads available at
pluming supply stores made by Oatey Great White with Teflon (TPFE).

Jerry Christopherson
9473187