[Tigers] Brakes 3

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Brakes 3
From: "Stu Brennan" <stubrennan@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:46:29 -0400
OK, here's how the weekend went with my brakes.  Saturday morning I went
for another drive, checking the temperatures of the disks att he same
points little brake use.  At about a mile and a half, I'm not sure how
hot one disk was, it was "off scale high" on my IR thermometer.  The
other was right around 200F.

At home, I pulled the wheels again.  The pads could easily be pushed
back by hand.  OK, screwdriver, they were still a bit toasty.  But when
released, they would pop right back against the disks, the outer boots
on the pistons pushing them back into position.

I reinstalled my old thinner pads, and they were fine, the pads would
push back and stay back.  Repeating the test drive, things were fine,
the disks got a little warm, but stabilized well below boiling.  I drove
several miles, again no overheating.

FYI, the new pads are about 0.617" thick, including the backing plates.
The  old ones appear to have just over half the friction material
thickness.

Sunday, driving into Brookline, just under an hour, again no problems.
No smoke and flames, or even bad smells when I got there.

So the conclusion is that my outer rubber seal on the caliper pistons do
not lay flat enough to allow new pads to be pushed back by the slight
disk wobble,  and stay back far enough to not seriously rub the disks.

These boots came from VB, but  before you say "See, you should have
known better!",  I compared them to an unused set I got from Rick a
bunch of years back, but got lost in  my spares until they were too old
to use.  They were shaped about the same, Rick's not particularly flat,
either.

Has anyone else had a problem with this, overheating disks after a brake
rebuild?  Where did you get YOUR rubber bits for the calipers?

Stu

tigers@autox.team.net