Re: [Tigers] Mecum Kissamee auction

To: "'michael king'" <michael.s.king@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Mecum Kissamee auction
From: "Greg Tibbetts" <nospam@tibnet.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 17:16:07 -0800
I think Mecum has a 10% buyer's premium, though from past auctions, I've
seen them play with the percentages a lot if it means making a sale happen.
For example, the buyer will reach a firm ceiling including the premium, but
the seller wants more than he's left with, so Dana will let more money go to
the seller and take less commission to seal the deal.  The seller gets the
money he wants, the buyer stays at his ceiling and Mecum gets a sale.  An
auction house lives or dies on the percentage of cars sold.  That's what
really attracts the sellers and sellers and their cars attract the buyers.

I've seen a lot of people purchase collector cars, including Tigers, without
the least bit of knowledge of what they're actually buying.  They see it, it
looks cool, they've got money, they bid (or buy from dealers).  Personally,
I would say that the percentage of people who do this is really huge.  I
know that's scary, but I've met so many Tiger owners who don't even know who
made the car, what years they were made or even what size engines were
originally in them.  I think that's why so many Algers exist and keep
getting sold.  To expect a customer like that to know who Sunbeam
Specialties or Classic Sunbeam are is asking a lot.

As for cars showing up on eBay for sale: I think a lot of bidders who buy
cars that aren't correct or even up to standards for car shows and Tiger
events get told their mistake(s) pretty quickly.  What are they likely to
do?  Go to that great mover of cars where few people look closely or have a
car inspected . . . Why eBay of course.

A great many auctions are high end operations that certify the merchandise
they offer is what it says it is.  Others say "Let's slap some lipstick on
this pig and move it through the chute!"  I can't name names, I don't know
who they are, but I'm sure there are more than a few who operate this way.

I've been guilty of not looking closely enough or having independent
verification myself a time or two, and once I really got burned badly on a
V8 powered MGTD.  Caveat emptor, Let the buyer beware, was never truer than
today.

        Happy Tigering;
        Greg

PS: I've owned seven Tigers, but alas, they are all gone, and now I just own
a Saleen Extreme UBB Mustang, #13 of 25.  However, I would like to thank
everyone who helped me with my different cats over the years.  The people on
the list are tops, and if nobody minds, I'd like to lurk around on the list
for a while longer.