Re: [Tigers] Timing deviates - advice needed

To: Pointers <gpointer@telusplanet.net>, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Timing deviates - advice needed
From: David or Gary Franchi <wwwdg@webtv.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 15:18:53 GMT FILETIME=[C1B42950:01CD0B63]
I had the exact same problem with my 289 65 Mustang. The problem turned out to
be the nylon? teeth were coming off the timing chain cam sprocket (you would be
surprised how many teeth can be worn down and missing and the chain will keep
working). The chain would flex and jump some teeth now and then, I would reset
the timing and it would run fine, for awhile.
If this turns out to be your problem make sure to take your oil pan off and
clean out all the particles, or you will end up with another problem, a twisted
distributor drive rod/shaft when a piece of crud gets stuck in the oil pump
gears, guess how I know this.

David Franchi