Re: [Tigers] Pulley Line-up

To: David or Gary Franchi <wwwdg@webtv.net> s=q20121106; t=1372463978; bh=0VB+vT9usjVG+tSck5jG5mlf7CuybXIqVWTLgp8/ogA=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=V/Ic20VDq/Hm9JrKouMBxCfhuluGrwMuZwAiOY3DppP5iRCKYIpO506Pjw+RQPkBH g4XM2/6TkWVSwuxrtX8e8LY5eYKvKI2N/g/FI1+4tNUvbVvryY1eZP2VveoYB84hHM xDKWDQjqCWAehkbib20Mtr9m2DU0fTx5/Q9tLW28D92aWAYSOiuxFOUXnCTQUsYzC7 ZiwpAyhNN3Fpcpb1vOy78t2mnot4k+f2n/8ezK1ezfnXOzxjBd6aawGv6fcyA3+vOt GSGNwwxD9KiPkRDvpbBfZf0ssMgQFddCUt1wt4sbhENBl3xxCbnOhNSKO6VpJEQDCR aXSW7SeI+hLQQ==
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Pulley Line-up
From: Gary Winblad <garywinblad@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 23:59:38 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: tigers@autox.team.net, robert jaarsma <64venezia@gmail.com>
A Ford bracket instead of a Tiger bracket is a pretty large mis-alignment.

The Tiger generator pulley is also different from the normal Ford one.
The wrong pulley causes a small mis-alignment.
The Tiger pulley can be identified by placing a dime(US 10cent coin) on the
section between
the fan and the beginning of the V groove.  A common Ford pulley has less
than the dime's distance.

Gary

    ----- Original Message -----  From: David or Gary Franchi
<wwwdg@webtv.net>  To: robert jaarsma <64venezia@gmail.com>,
tigers@autox.team.net  Sent: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 21:35:02 -0000 (UTC)  Subject:
Re: [Tigers] Pulley Line-up    Robert, It is posible you don't have the
special Tiger bracket, since you said it never lined up originally.    I have
this saved from an old post on the diffrence between a Tiger Generator bracket
and a Ford bracket.   I took a few photos comparing them. This Tiger bracket
is only marked with a Triangle with a "C"or "O" inside and a "1" next to it.
The Tiger bracket offset is about 11/16" closer to the head and it is shaped a
little differently.     David Franchi    Misc. bracket pictures, Tiger is
always on the left.
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477547.jpg   --
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477548.jpg   --
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477549.jpg   --
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477550.jpg   --
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477551.jpg   --
Tiger and Ford markings.
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477552.jpg   --
Tiger marking close-up.
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL439/2051017/23401185/398477553.jpg  --
-----Original Message-----  From: robert jaarsma  Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013
5:05 AM  To: tigers@autox.team.net  Subject: [Tigers] Pulley Line-up    My
Tiger with a 289 needed a new water pump, so I got the one from Sunbeam
Specialties. No surprises there. Pulley lined up perfectly with the balancer
pulley.    My generator was still ok, but I estimated its life would not be
too much  longer. So for a while I thought about swapping it for an
alternator. It  never really lined up perfectly. But during 20 years, never
gave a problem  either. Possibly shortened the water pumps life? .    Since
there was recently a discussion about alternators, I decide to take  the
plunge and make it easy on myself and I bought the Powermaster unit. My
alternator pulley is off by > with the water pump pulley! The way its  pulley
is mounted it has a heavy rim on the outside, which throws the  v-groove off
by maybe 1/8. So if I turn it around, I will still be off by  >-1/8= 5/8. All
powermaster other mounting dimensions are identical, 6  between the ears, to
straddle the original mounting arm. Now I suspect the  original mounting
bracket. 1). I could put spacer between it and the engine  block, the bring
the alternator forwards. However the dipstick doesnt give  me much room. 2). I
could bring the alternator forwards by putting the rear  ear on the front side
of the bracket and add a spacer at the front ear. But  the alternator ear
would not clear the rib of the cast Tiger mounting  bracket. Not an elegant
solution. But then, how could the original cast  Tiger bracket be off by that
much? If it was fabricated it possibly could  bend, but not a casting. Reyer
and I measured everything again tonight, but  we can not see whats wrong. Any
ideas?    Just one more thing besides my electrical problem: the white wire
from  ignition switch to tach to coil resistor filled itself with Lucas smoke.
Why?? All insulation half burned. No obvious short I could see. I am almost
ready to take it all apart and rewire the whole car. Any body has any  ideas??
tigers@autox.team.net    Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html  Archive:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/wwwdg@webtv.net