Re: [Tigers] Tiger Dashboard Lettering

To: Tigers Den <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger Dashboard Lettering
From: "Paul R. Breuhan" <prbreuhan@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 15:35:26 -0400 FILETIME=[34DFA930:01CFCC65]
Trying to keep this email short...hahaSanserif (actually sans serif) isn't a
font, it's a typestyle and basically means "no serif". Helvetica is an example
of a sans-serif font since it has no little "do dads" called "serifs" on the
ascenders and descenders. A font like Times would be a serif font.Condensed
Gothic RR is a font designed/used by model railroad boys and girls (note the
RR designation), it is most likely based on Helvetica. It is available at
hobby shops and Walmart I believe.I looked at 1000s of fonts and never came up
with any one font that was exactly the same, so I am guessing the original
font is now just a memory in font history.When I was researching this I had a
number of people around the globe scan and even mail me pieces of their wooden
dashes. And we came up with a couple different styles that were very similar
if not basically the same. One problem is that 1960s silkscreening would have
been done by hand and isn't all that precise, if you also look at the Jaeger
gauges you will see also see variation from gauge to gauge. My theory is...By
the time the Tiger was released to the public the Rootes Group was in such
poor financial shape that the same company providing the Alpine wood dashes
would have provided the Tiger dashes also starting with the basic Alpine
form...and most likely even just pulling Alpine dashes from their stock to use
in Tigers. And since the goal was making money to stay in business, the dash
board people would just keep the assembly line rolling. I would think, they
would have had one big template with small screens (or several smaller
templates) that would have been pulled over the top of the wood dash on the
"assembly line" and off the guy doing the printing work would go.Over time the
screens would go gradually go bad and alter the look of the lettering, then
the screens would eventually be replaced. Also if it was a Friday or a Monday
perhaps the screen printer would miss putting on certain words or put the ink
on too light or too heavy.Here are a couple images of what I came up
with...they are kind of an average of what was provided to
me.http://www.breuhan.com/sunbeam/alllettering.gifhttp://www.breuhan.com/sunb
eam/heater.jpgThey are low resolution and are not great shots but they do give
you some idea of the look.Paul