Re: [Tigers] Speed Driven Gear Questions have...

To: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Speed Driven Gear Questions have...
From: Tom Parker via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 17:18:03 -0500
Cc: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>

--001a11408036349562054304c78e

Ron is right re the Mark 2 speedometer. On the face, to the right of the
speedometer s/n in really small type is "1020."

Tom
'67 Mark 2

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 1:33 PM, Larry Mayfield via Tigers <
tigers@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Hello, Thanks for the info and reply!
>
> I went to David Kee top loader pages and found this:
> A black drive gear with 7 teeth pn C4DZ-17285A  NOT for Tiger
> A  pink gear with 6 Teeth pn C5ZZ-17285A  NOT for tiger
> A Yellow gear with  7 Teeth  pn DK296-YSG  FOR Tiger
> A Brown gear with 8 teeth  pn DK286-BSG FOT Tiger
> There are no 6T drive gears for the top loader, at least available anyway.
> With the plethora of driven gears and a pair of drive gears and knowing
> the dire diameter for the revolutions per mile calculation then one should
> be able to come pretty dang close to reality I think.  That 8=980 revs per
> mile is a high number due to the dinky OEM tire size sold with the cars. I
> think the overall diameter of the Dunlop 5.90 tires was 20.5 inches which
> would be about right for the 980 res per mile. Tires today are larger and a
> 205 x 15 is 23 inches or so in diameter and that results in a lower of revs
> per mile to run the speedo. So, the drive and driven gears need to be
> selected  to get that tire back to a pseudo 980 revs per mile.  And the
> rear gear needs to be added in as well if it has been changed. Not a
> terrifically involved process but stuff has to be accounted for in order to
> get a good reading speedo. Final fiddling can be achieved internally to the
> speedo although I have never ever tried that.
>
> Or purchase a GPS unit, lol. Plug and play....  add power, turn on....
>
> mayf

e right of the speedometer s/n in really small type is &quot;1020.&quot;<di=
v class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 =
at 1:33 PM, Larry Mayfield via Tigers <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mail=
to:tigers@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank">tigers@autox.team.net</a>&gt;</=
span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8e=
x;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><br>
Hello, Thanks for the info and reply!<br>
I went to David Kee top loader pages and found this:<br>
A black drive gear with 7 teeth pn C4DZ-17285A=C2=A0 NOT for Tiger<br>
A=C2=A0 pink gear with 6 Teeth pn C5ZZ-17285A=C2=A0 NOT for tiger<br>
A Yellow gear with=C2=A0 7 Teeth=C2=A0 pn DK296-YSG=C2=A0 FOR Tiger<br>
A Brown gear with 8 teeth=C2=A0 pn DK286-BSG FOT Tiger<br>
There are no 6T drive gears for the top loader, at least available anyway.<=
br>
With the plethora of driven gears and a pair of drive gears and knowing the=
 dire diameter for the revolutions per mile calculation then one should be =
able to come pretty dang close to reality I think.=C2=A0 That 8=3D980 revs =
per=C2=A0 mile is a high number due to the dinky OEM tire size sold with th=
e cars. I think the overall diameter of the Dunlop 5.90 tires was 20.5 inch=
es which would be about right for the 980 res per mile. Tires today are lar=
ger and a 205 x 15 is 23 inches or so in diameter and that results in a low=
er of revs per mile to run the speedo. So, the drive and driven gears need =
to be selected=C2=A0 to get that tire back to a pseudo 980 revs per mile.=
=C2=A0 And the rear gear needs to be added in as well if it has been change=
d. Not a terrifically involved process but stuff has to be accounted for in=
 order to get a good reading speedo. Final fiddling can be achieved interna=
lly to the speedo although I have never ever tried that.<br>
Or purchase a GPS unit, lol. Plug and play....=C2=A0 add power, turn on....=
mayf<br>
-----Original Message-----<br>