Re: [Tigers] Air Cleaner Question

To: Joe Brown <jbbrown1980@gmail.com>, Joe Brown via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Air Cleaner Question
From: awtiger--- via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 09:21:52 -0400 (EDT)

------=_Part_131040_1696433076.1539782512849

Joe:

No, that is not to be used to connect the vacuum advance line from the
distributor.  Although I am unclear on its function, I can tell you where it
connects.  There is a small metal tube that inserts into a hole in the
passenger-side exhaust manifold on the forward-facing side of the #4 exhaust
runner.  It runs up the side of the engine and over the top of the
passenger-side valve cover, terminating just short of the hose fitting that you
are referring to on the air cleaner base.  A short piece of rubber hose is then
used to connect the tube to the a/c fitting.  My guess is that it is used to
direct some warm air into the induction system for assistance in quicker
morning warm-ups after the initial start, but there are those on the list who
are more learned than I on things like this who I'm sure will chime in with its
real function.

I'm assuming that your car is missing this tube, as was mine before I restored
the engine compartment.  I was able to get one from one of the classic
Mustang/Ford parts suppliers, and then simply bent it to fit by using pics of
the cars "back in the day" as a guide.  Let me know if you want a pic and I can
get one to you.

Thanks,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK

> On October 16, 2018 at 5:15 PM Joe Brown via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     On the oval style air cleaner base there are two hose fittings.  The
> larger one goes to the air breather on the driver's side valve cover.  What
> does the small fitting hook up to? Vacuum advance on the distributor?
>
>     Thanks,
>     Joe Brown

------=_Part_131040_1696433076.1539782512849

<!DOCTYPE html>
 the vacuum advance line from the distributor.&#160; Although I am unclear =
on its function, I can tell you where it connects.&#160; There is a small m=
etal tube that inserts into a hole in the passenger-side exhaust manifold o=
n the forward-facing side of the #4 exhaust runner.&#160; It runs up the si=
de of the engine and over the top of the passenger-side valve cover, termin=
ating just short of the hose fitting that you are referring to on the air c=
leaner base.&#160; A short piece of rubber hose is then used to connect the=
 tube to the a/c fitting.&#160; My guess is that it is used to direct some =
warm air into the induction system for assistance in quicker morning warm-u=
ps after the initial start, but there are those on the list who are more le=
arned than I on things like this who I&#39;m sure will chime in with its re=
s tube, as was mine before I restored the engine compartment.&#160; I was a=
ble to get one from one of the classic Mustang/Ford parts suppliers, and th=
en simply bent it to fit by using pics of the cars &#34;back in the day&#34=
; as a guide.&#160; Let me know if you want a pic and I can get one to you.=
ings.&#160; The larger one goes to the air breather on the driver&#39;s sid=
e valve cover.&#160; What does the small fitting hook up to? Vacuum advance=
body></html>
=20
------=_Part_131040_1696433076.1539782512849--

--===============8775674349552502159==