RE: TR3 alternator conversion

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net"%mole.dnet.mmm.com@MOLE.mmm.com
Subject: RE: TR3 alternator conversion
From: ccamley@mmm.com (Chris Amley - 3M Co. - St. Paul, MN)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 07:39:41 -0600
Don, TeriAnn,

You both point out that a properly functioning charging circuit should keep up
with the stock electrical accesories on a TR-3.  My car doesn't have a heater
or radio.  From time to time I've wanted to install a FAX machine, but not yet
:-) so excessive load is probably not to blame.

TeriAnn mentions several possibilities.  My generator is newly rebuilt, I've
checked the regulator _and_ cutout per the shop manual.  But...the F lead (the
fat one) from the dynamo failed a few years back.  I patched it with some wire
of the same gauge, spliced with those crimp-on bullet connectors.  Perhaps
that's causing the high-resistance circuit TeriAnn suggested.  It would be easy
enough to replace the whole run from dynamo to regulator (with plain white
wire, of course), so I think I'll try that.  It'd be a whole lot cheaper and
easier than going to an alternator!

Thanks,
Chris

PS, Don wrote:

> I wouldn't do it to a TR3, but TR4s are fair game...

Sometimes it seems '4s don't get any respect.  Seems hardly fair.  I grew up
during the '4s halcyon days of Group 44 and Kas Kastner.  They were wonderful
looking, fast, just everything you'd want, *including* rack and pinion
steering.  What I'd give for that!