RE: TR3 alternator conversion

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR3 alternator conversion
From: widget@pixi.com (Paul Swengler)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 1995 04:45:31 -0500
>Don, TeriAnn, Chris
>
>You both point out that a properly functioning charging circuit should keep up
>with the stock electrical accesories on a TR-3.  My car doesn't have a heater
>or radio.

Although the charging circuit is relatively small 15 to 17 amps It is wise
to put a fuse if the charging circuit. The regulator has been known to fail
causing a short from the battery through the amp meter and through the
generator. And the amp meter is unavailable (was the last time I looked) new.

>PS, Don wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't do it to a TR3, but TR4s are fair game...

They are all fair game!!!!!

>Sometimes it seems '4s don't get any respect.  Seems hardly fair.  I grew up
>during the '4s halcyon days of Group 44 and Kas Kastner.  They were wonderful
>looking, fast, just everything you'd want, *including* rack and pinion
>steering.  What I'd give for that!

Hey it's your life and your car... You want to drop a f**d 465 CI in a TD
it's your money and your car. (I was given a few hundred Car mags from the
late 60's and 70' and in an article where the TR4A was at the salt flats...
It turned a sterling performance, but even that was modified. (Perhaps if I
can locate it I'll scan it and post it.)) If you choose to be a purist
that's ok too. I mean Sunbeam, MG, Triumph all dropped 8's in their cars and
I'm sure Healy would have if they were still in production.  So much for
purism in the factory.

Think about it, TR MG etc all dropped the generator for alternator as I'm
sure  Healy would have also. So if you want to convert your generator you'll
likely have a more reliable electrical system.

I wonder how many people still have rubber shell wet cell batteries, or use
alcohol for antifreeze. The question is where do you draw the line? For me
the answer is anywhere you want. It's OK to draw a green line on your
radiator hose. It's ok not to also.

Not a purist but married to one...

Paul Swengler