Oil seal quality-comments pls

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil seal quality-comments pls
From: pleask@mailhost.wlc.com (Pat Leask)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 18:00:00 -0800
I just received a bag of goodies for my '66 TR4 A from a local supplier.
After pulling them out one at a time, like goodies out of a stocking at
Christmas, I came to the timing chain oil seal. I'm not sure if I like what
I see and am woundering if it is a sign of the times or the wrong seal.

The one I pulled out of the timing chain cover (The one I put in 2 years ago
from MOSS) is about 1/2" thick, is fully encased in metal, has the basic
rubber seal inside, plus-what seems to be an additional felt (?) seal that
goes infront of the rubber seal part (towards the fan). For the most part,
seems to be really good overall quality.

The one I recived in my "Stocking" is a 1/4" thick with JUST the rubber part
of the seal and only has metal on the edge and one side.

QUESTION: Is this new seal going to do the job ?

Thanks.
Pat Leask
pleask@mailhost.wlc.com
Victoria B.C.