Re: Oil seal quality-comments pls

To: pleask@mailhost.wlc.com
Subject: Re: Oil seal quality-comments pls
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 96 23:44:27 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>snip
>
>The one I pulled out of the timing chain cover (The one I put in 2 years ago
>from MOSS) is about 1/2" thick, is fully encased in metal, has the basic
>rubber seal inside, plus-what seems to be an additional felt (?) seal that
>goes infront of the rubber seal part (towards the fan). For the most part,
>seems to be really good overall quality.
>
>The one I recived in my "Stocking" is a 1/4" thick with JUST the rubber part
>of the seal and only has metal on the edge and one side.
>
>QUESTION: Is this new seal going to do the job ?
>

>Thanks.
>Pat Leask
>pleask@mailhost.wlc.com
>Victoria B.C.

Pat,
 It most likely is the correct seal.
 You may have gotten a previous dose of this message, my machine lost its
mind and I had to reload everything so no telling if anything got out
earlier.
 My preference for the timing chain cover seal is a "grease " seal. It
looks exactly like an oil seal except that the lip is a little wider and
if you look inside, there is a spring which helps the seal hold its bite.
 The seal should have what appears to be thick paint or thin rubber
coating the outside. If it does not, clean the seat in the cover and
smear a dab of RTV silicone in to assure a good seal between seal and
cover.
 The seal should be installed with the open side toward the engine.
 Double check to be sure the timing chain tensioner will ride on the
outside of the chain. I know it sounds obvious, but I know of a couple of
people who have even forgotten to put it back in after cleaning the cover.
 Fear not my friend, it will still leak some when you get it back together.
Encouraging huh!!
Best Regards,
Tony R.
"GT6s"