76 Spitfire Ignition problem.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 76 Spitfire Ignition problem.
From: Jonathan Sherman <jsherman@mail1.i1.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 08:03:16 -0500 (CDT)
Here's the problem:

If I jumper the white(distributor) and brown(power) wire in the ignition
switch, I get a spark across one of the plugs.  I can jumper over and
over again and get spark.  Then, if I turn the ignition on start the
starter motor spins, and one plugs sparks once (the one the distributor
was already pointing to) and nothing ever sparks again.  :(  I'm assuming
it's a problem in the distributor.  Is it anything I can repair/rebuild?
It's the distributor with the integral amplifier.  If it's not reasonably
repairable, should I replace it with a point ignition (if reasonably
doable) or another electronic ignition?  And if I need to replace it, any
suggestions on where I can find one for the best price?

Also, is there anyone on the list near St.Louis?  I'd like to find
someone to compare notes with.  Right now, I'd just like to know how to
mount the bracket to hold the bonnet up!  (I have the bracket, but it's
not connected and I'm kinda tired of propping the hood up!)

Thanks for the comments!

-Jon

'76 Meteor Blue Spitfire
Bought it 2 weeks ago!