re: Spitfire: Need Help Re-installing Trans

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net"@tin
Subject: re: Spitfire: Need Help Re-installing Trans
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 08:19:05 -0500
>OK, I'm about to choose between: a) A REALLY, REALLY BIG HAMMER, b) a flat
>tow to the local British car auto repair shop, and c) guidance from you!

You should need neither a nor b!

>I removed the transmission to replace the clutch and rebuild the slave
>cylinder.  Mission accomplished.  I am now suffering from the "replacement
>is a straightforward reversal of the above".  Namely, I cannot get the
>g*****n transmission back in place.

It IS the reverse - this shouldn't be that hard!

>I DID align the clutch with my swell alignment tool - and it LOOKED
>centered, too. I tried using a leftover leaf from an old rear suspension as
>a lever to hold the trans in place while guiding it forward.  I used a floor
>jack to try to raise the back of the engine slightly.  All to no avail.  I
>can get it within about an inch, but no further.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas?

OK, here are my ideas:

1. did you turn the input shaft slightly to see if the splines were
   mating up?

2. Are you sure the clutch plate has the same spline pattern as the
   input shaft?

3. Is the pilot bushing in the right place?

4. Is there something in the way that's keeping the gearbox from
   going all the way?

I've done this, and it shouldn't be that hard. There is something keeping
the input shaft from going into the clutch plate all the way. All you have
to do is find it! Since you have the clutch alignment tool, see if it goes
in all the way. If it does, check its spline count against the input shaft
on your gearbox. Good luck!!!

>Les Francis
>'78 Spitfire

Larry