Re: 76 Spitfire Ignition problem.

To: jsherman@mail1.i1.net
Subject: Re: 76 Spitfire Ignition problem.
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 20:30:23 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>If I jumper the white(distributor) and brown(power) wire in the ignition
>switch, I get a spark across one of the plugs.  I can jumper over and
>over again and get spark.  Then, if I turn the ignition on start the
>starter motor spins, and one plugs sparks once (the one the distributor
>was already pointing to) and nothing ever sparks again.  :(  I'm assuming
>it's a problem in the distributor.  Is it anything I can repair/rebuild?
>It's the distributor with the integral amplifier.  If it's not reasonably
>repairable, should I replace it with a point ignition (if reasonably
>doable) or another electronic ignition?  And if I need to replace it, any
>suggestions on where I can find one for the best price?

Jon,

Have you checked for voltage going into the coil when the ignition switch in
"on" and "start" position. You may have a defective starter switch. If you
can jumper the two leads at the switch and get a sprark, it sounds like the
contacts in the switch aren't supplying voltage back to the coil. The single
spark may be a residue charge in the coil from the jumpering procedure. The
contacts for the starter circuit work independently from the circuit going
back to the coil.  May be worth checking.

If that checks out, it could be the ignition module - those things were prone
to failure by overheating. There's not much in the actual distributor that
can cause this type of problem. If the module needs to be replaced, Crane
makes the XR-700-0300 unit that adapts to that distributor with relative
ease. Belive it or not, JC Whitney carries the Crane unit for about $100 (not
a real deal), but on one of their sales the price comes down to about $75.
You can also order directly from Crane in Florida for about $92.

For most people, that makes more sense than replacing the whole distributor.
Mallory make a dual point that's available from Vicky Brit, but there a bit
more expensive ($225 or $275 with vacuum advance) and technologically, you're
taking a big step backwards.

Good luck,
Charlie Brown
Capital Triumph Register