Re: Vertical link questions (Spitfire etc.)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, S1500@aol.com
Subject: Re: Vertical link questions (Spitfire etc.)
From: kboetzer@Auspex.Com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 08:34:22 -0700
> Greetings Wordly Scions,
>
> Not having anything better to do, I've been spending some
> time getting intimately familiar with the front suspension of my cars(s).
> I have some spare vertical links on the shelf and I am trying to determine
> if they are potentially useable.  The threaded part that screws into the
> trunnion is the bit that has me confused.  I know that this part is "bent"
> to a desired angle with respect to the rest of the vertical link.  Some of
> mine are more bent than others.  The restoration guide warns of this part
> getting bent due to "kerbing".  What I cannot determine is, what is the
> correct angle of this threaded part.  The Bentley manual has some good
> cross-sectional drawings showing the angle, but does not list a specification
> for it.  I guess I could dig out the old protractor and try to measure the
> drawing,
> but I suspect someone here knows of an easier, better way.  Is there?
>
> On a related subject:  I've heard that removing / replacing the stub axle
> is something best not attempted at home.  Is this true?  I haven't seen this
> discussed here before.  I would expect these things might be difficult to
> press out.  Bentley makes this sound simple and makes no mention of
> any "special" tools.  Net wisdom anyone?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Bob Sykes  (s1500@aol.com)    -  - -     __,@_\____
> '78 Spitfires                   -  --    }-0-----0->

Bob,

I too had "curbed" vertical links. BUT SINCE I'VE BEEN USING THE NEW MIRACLE
CURE "LINK STRAIGHT", MY HAIR HAS BEEN RESTORED, MY LOVE LIVE IS...oops,...
wrong news group. So, basically, the longitudinal axis of the threaded portion
should pass through the center of the upper ball joint. I used a press with
suitable wood blocks to protect the threads from damage. Eyeball the angle and
for the most part that is good enough. Depending on the calibration of your
eyeball I guess. One could make a tool from a piece of aluminum (or even
cardboard) with a straight edge, cut out clearance for the stuff in the way
and lay the straight portion of the tool you just made against the threads and
tweak the part until it lines up properly.

This doesn't read as well as I would like it to, if you don't know what I'm
trying to say, e-mail me back, and we'll work it out. If they need to be
manupulated very much, a magnaflux (professional crack check...(OB-GYN humor
inserted here.)) may be in order.

Don't try to remove the spindle. Take the nut off and give it a whack with a
brass or copper hammer. If it doesn't fall out, bolt it back together.

Enjoy,

Ken Boetzer