Re: Vertical link questions (Spitfire etc.)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vertical link questions (Spitfire etc.)
From: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 09:31:08
> On a related subject:  I've heard that removing / replacing the
stub axle
> is something best not attempted at home.  Is this true?  I haven't seen this
> discussed here before.  I would expect these things might be difficult to
> press out.  Bentley makes this sound simple and makes no mention of
> any "special" tools.  Net wisdom anyone?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Bob Sykes  (s1500@aol.com)    -  - -     __,@_\____
> '78 Spitfires                   -  --    }-0-----0->

Hi Bob,

I've had some fun with these vertical links/stub axles!  I gather
that the "correct" way to remove the stub axle is with a hydraulic
press. I had a garage remove one for me by heating it up with an oxy-
acetylene torch and hitting it with a hammer. This is not to be
recommended, 1. because it knackers the vertical link and 2. because
the threads on the stub axle became so distorted with the heat that
it was useless (the garage didn't charge!).  I was more successful
when I did the job myself. This time I placed the unit on an old
wheel with the stub axle pointing down through the centre, protected
the threads with a nut and wellied the end with a sledge hammer.
Maybe I was lucky, but the stub axle came out cleanly first time.

Good luck,

Jonathan     Spit. 1500*************************************
Dr J.E.Miles
School of Biological Sciences