Vertical link questions (Spitfire etc.)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Vertical link questions (Spitfire etc.)
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 21:52:08 -0400
Greetings Wordly Scions,

Not having anything better to do, I've been spending some
time getting intimately familiar with the front suspension of my cars(s).
I have some spare vertical links on the shelf and I am trying to determine
if they are potentially useable.  The threaded part that screws into the
trunnion is the bit that has me confused.  I know that this part is "bent"
to a desired angle with respect to the rest of the vertical link.  Some of
mine are more bent than others.  The restoration guide warns of this part
getting bent due to "kerbing".  What I cannot determine is, what is the
correct angle of this threaded part.  The Bentley manual has some good
cross-sectional drawings showing the angle, but does not list a specification
for it.  I guess I could dig out the old protractor and try to measure the
drawing,
but I suspect someone here knows of an easier, better way.  Is there?

On a related subject:  I've heard that removing / replacing the stub axle
is something best not attempted at home.  Is this true?  I haven't seen this
discussed here before.  I would expect these things might be difficult to
press out.  Bentley makes this sound simple and makes no mention of
any "special" tools.  Net wisdom anyone?

Thanks for your time,
Bob Sykes  (s1500@aol.com)    -  - -     __,@_\____
'78 Spitfires                   -  --    }-0-----0->