Re: Vertical link questions (Spitfire etc.)

To: S1500@aol.com
Subject: Re: Vertical link questions (Spitfire etc.)
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 07:26:48 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 5 Jun 1996 S1500@aol.com wrote:

> getting bent due to "kerbing".  What I cannot determine is, what is the
> correct angle of this threaded part.  The Bentley manual has some good
> cross-sectional drawings showing the angle, but does not list a specification
> for it.  I guess I could dig out the old protractor and try to measure the
> drawing,
> but I suspect someone here knows of an easier, better way.  Is there?

Yes, there is an easier way:  Put a trunnion in a vice and thread the
vertical link into it.  As you screw it in, look at the top of the link
where the ball joint would go.  The center of that hole is on the same
axis as the threaded part and should remain in the same place as the link
spins.  If it sweeps out a little (or maybe even BIG) circle, the link is
bent.

Have fun,
Mike
'70 Mk3 Spit (April, 1970)