TR6 questions/comments (6)

To: all <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 questions/comments (6)
From: John Bertsche <103136.3056@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 09 Jun 96 15:30:03 EDT
Hello again-

1) I need to replace the windshield in my TR6. The procedure reads like it's
easy, which always makes me worry. Is there anything I should know before I
start, and about how long should I figure it will take? Also, besides the
windshield, what other parts do I need?

2) I've noticed that when I have the entire car raised up to work on it (I
usually run one end up on car ramps, then jack up the opposite end and put it on
stands), depending on where I place the jackstands, the frame will flex to the
point where the doors will be jammed shut. This really only happens if the
stands are pretty far back, like two feet or more behind the rear axles. The
frame appears fine but I'm wondering if this is normal. There's no problem when
the car is on the ground. The amount of flex is small, maybe 1/8 of an inch at
the top of the door-to body gap.

3) I need to clean the K&N air filters on the carburetors. The store where I
bought them is out of business, and the paperwork that came with the filters
mentions a K&N product used for cleaning them, presumably some type of
solvent/degreaser, and a type of oil used afterwards to re-oil the filter
elements. What, if any, available substitutes are there?

4) Is it difficult to find a shop that will mount tires/balance and align cars
with wire wheels/tube tires? Again, the shop I used to use is out of business,
and the last place I brought a flat gave me a hard time for bringing a wire
wheel/tube tire in. That was at least three or four years ago, so I doubt things
have improved. They also couldn't align the car because "our computerized
alignment machine doesn't list your car". I live in Nassau county, New York in
case anyone has any ideas. (move somwhere else?)

5) Does anyone know the law with regard to seat belts, specifically, if seat
belts were not required at the time of a car's manufacture, will the car pass a
current inspection without seat belts? This question could apply to any other
part of a car as well, I suppose...

6) American drivers who purchase Lucas headlights, from overseas or domestic
suppliers, should be aware that at least some of them are for right-hand-drive
cars; in other words, the low beams aim down and to the left compared to the
high beams.

thanks to all those who responded to my questions about TR7s. Definitely a car
that generates a wide range of opinions...

                                                jb