Re: TR-6, Brake lockup

To: tgentr@rw1.rworld.com
Subject: Re: TR-6, Brake lockup
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 96 19:51:28 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>OK, here is my puzzler:
>
>As I was returning home today the brake pedal on my '72 TR-6 got firmer
>and firmer.  Now normally one might think this is a desirable
>condition, but by the time I got the car in the garage the pedal was
>hard as rock and the brakes were on full time.
>
>I jacked the car up and determined that the rear wheels were OK, but
>the fronts were locked.  I went inside, had a cold one and a think.
>When I came back out 30 minutes later all was well and I could not get
>the problem to repeat.  Is this a brake servo problem, or what?
>
>Tom Gentry

Tom,
 If you havedefinitely ruled out the rear brakes, then it sounds like
it's time for a caliper rebuild.
 After a while, the pistons, as much as we try to prevent it, get wet and
develope rust spots. Left unchecked, these spot become pits which can
keep the piston from returning to its normal uncompressed depth in the
caliper. So, they hang up on us.
 Could also possibly be the check valve  located on the end of the piston
inside the master cylinder. If this goes bad, usually the first symptom
is internal leak down which causes the pedal to bottom out.
 I would bet on siezed or at least cruddy pistons.
Best Regards,
Tony
###