Re: Seatbelts?

To: ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
Subject: Re: Seatbelts?
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 96 12:34:09 MDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Tony,
>
>Now when somebody brought up seatbelts on the list - I had a few questions
>for you:
>
>a) Do you have any experience with these 'rally/race' seatbelts that are 'H'
>shaped, and bolted on four places? (you can probably tell that I have no
>idea what the term for these are :-)!!)
>
>b) Do you have any any lap-belts lying around? In my GT6+ that I am selling
>(soon) there are what appears to be original Triumph lap-belts - and they
>look nicer than the MK3 seatbelts (witch includes a shoulder belt). I know
>it is not only an issue of how good they look - the lap belt is not going to
>prevent me from taking a bite of the steering wheel ;-) - but then perhaps
>the 'H' shaped would be a better alternative (or perhaps just a bigger pain
>in daily driving....)
>
>Any experience is highly appreciated ;-)
>
>Later,
>
>Michael

Michael,
 I posted a cc to the Triumph line, someone else may be interested or may
even have belts you are looking for.
 I think what you are referring to is called "center point" racing harness.
 No doubt about it, this is the best you can get, but not very practical
in everyday use.
 Original belts were mounted to 3 points and the over the shoulder belt
was quite long since it attached a little forward of center on the rear
wheel well with a second connection at an eyebolt located on the floor,
between the back of the seat and the door sill. This long belt then went
across the lap to the eye bolt mounted on the drive line tunnel.
  The latch was located in the middle of the long belt so that when it
was drawn across the lap, it also came over the back of the seat to make
a shoulder strap. Tension was adjusted by pulling the loose end that
comes through the clip tha formed the loop for the latch.
 Somewhere, I have a set of British Leyland belts. Well, the latches are
good, but the belts are sort of ratty and faded.
 I located a set of belts that I like very well.
 I am using the rear belt set out of an 87-88 Hyundai. The color matched
my interior and I like the press release latch instead of fumbling with
the lift type latch.
 It is not easy to install inertia type belts because they usually need
to be mounted perpendicular to the floor since the pendulum inside has to
swing forward to catch the belt. That's why I chose a long loose belt.
 I am a proponent of new belts. Mainly because we are looking at a synthetic
material that has a lot of years on it and could possibly have
degenerated to a point of uncertainty. Why risk the possibility of a seat
belt breaking when you need it the most?

 Hope I've answered your questions.
Best Regards,
Tony
###