arcing plug leads

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: arcing plug leads
From: "Chris Boston" <spitfire@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 09:02:18 +0100
Morning folks,

An interesting thing happened to me last night when I got home from work.  I
could here a ticking noise coming from the engine bay, so I lifted the bonnet
and the tick went away, I closed the bonnet and the tick came back.  Having
donned my sherlock holmes DIY investigation kit, I discovered that my number
one plug lead was arcing to the bonnet.  So a quick call to Halfords on my way
to work this morning (eleven quid for a set of leads) and a roadside swap cured
all known ills.

My questions are:

1. Has the arcing caused any damage to anything else?

2. Did something else cause the breakdown in the lead (ie is this a sypmtom and
not the cause)?

Any advice appreciated,

Chris.

--
-- 1977 Spitfire 1500...Everyday/Only Driver.