Re: To Frame Off or Not

To: rvince00@counsel.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: To Frame Off or Not
From: JHarroun@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 10:38:41 -0400
To all you poor souls contemplating a frame-off restoration, here is a story
about my experiences.  I bought a lonely, neglected TR-3B for $300 back in
1979 as a project car.  The previous owner had attempted to re-build the
motor and never got it re-started.  I put the car in storage for ten years
(in my mother-in-law's garage no less!), and when I finally got started on
the project, I let a friend talk me into taking it off the frame.
In retrospect, I would not do it again.  The frame and body were both in
pretty good shape, though there was a lot of caked on grease and dirt.  My
intention was to clean them up anr re-paint them to prevent any "surface
rust" from turning into rot.  The body is back on now, but this added YEARS
to my project, and I came very close to just abandoning it.
I would recommend leaving the body on the frame unless taking it off is
required for major repairs, or if you are a professional preparing the car
for the show circuit.

Jim Harroun
'62 TR-3B (running again after 23 years)