Sports exhaust on Calif. TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sports exhaust on Calif. TR6
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane Ingate)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 96 14:56:28 PDT
All (esp. Califonia TR6 owners),

I'm about to have my 1974 TR6 smogged in San Diego, California.
I know that it will pass, as it is a standard set up.

The mufflers are becoming long in the tooth, and I would like
to *upgrade* to a set of Monza's (which seem to have collective
group acceptance) or the stainless-steel sports system (perhaps
less acceptance within the group).  Perhaps also tube headers.
My wish here is purely for the sound of the 6, as I know that
without additional extensive engine work, I would not gain any extra HP.

Having perused the catalogs, most attach a statement to such
systems as "Not legal on emissions-controlled vehicles in Calif."
or similar wording.

My question is: I see so many older and even new cars with obviously
modified exhaust systems.  Whats the catch here?  How can *they*
get away with it?  Can I change to a *sportier* exhaust system and
still pass the smog exam?

I know that fitting 3 x Webers is a clear fail as this setup would
fail the "sight inspection test"  :(

Any words of wisdom from California owners?

Thanks,

Shane Ingate
1974 TR6