Re: Spitfire Trans Swap

To: Chris and Karen Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Trans Swap
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 12:22:19 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, Chris and Karen Prugh wrote:

> Guess I could have been a little more clear...Spline on the O/D trans
> are a FINE CUT...more splines around...than the standard four speed trans
> shaft....This being coarse as opposed to fine.  Would rather use old
> gearbox as I completely rebuilt it @ 9000 miles ago....New gearbox is a
> little wobbly but otherwise sound....Can this be done?

Chris,

Yes, it can be done - But you will basically end up doing another rebuild
to do it.  To add an OD to a standard transmission, you need to install a
mainshaft in the transmission that is unique to the OD setup.  This means
disassembling both 'boxes, swapping the gears and bearing over to the
OD-mainshaft, and reassembling.  Seems to me that it would be less work
to just rebuild the OD 'box, and use the later type pressure plate to go
with your "Fine Tooth" input shaft.

My $0.02,

Good luck,
Mike
'70 Spit, '75 Spit, '76 Spit, and some other stuff
http://www.unmc.edu/~mburdick