Re: GT6 Front spring/shock

To: Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com
Subject: Re: GT6 Front spring/shock
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 15:09:03 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On 18 Jun 1996 Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com wrote:

> Fellow Scion,
>    I just received some uprated 330# springs from J. Kipping and want to pop
> them on this week with some new Koni's I have been sitting on. The local
> Austin Triumph club (Hill Country Triumph) is running a rally into the hills
> this weekend. Lots of good winding roads to just waiting to test out the new
> setup.
>    I have the compressors that lool like two hooks on a long bolt. My plan
> is to:

Richard,

I can't speak to your question specifically as my experience is with Spits,
but I won't let that stop me from adding my 2 cents.

I put uprated springs on my Spit a couple of years ago, and found that the
new springs went in without the spring compressor (their unfitted length
was less than the distance between the perches at full suspension travel).
In fact, I didn't even use a spring compressor at all.  What I did was:

1)  unbolt the top of the shock

2)  slowly jack the car up until the wheel is just off of the ground and
    the top shock mount has cleared the top perch.  It may be necessary to
    compress the shock to get it to clear the perch.

3)  place jack stand appropriately

4)  pry the top of the old spring out from under the top spring mount.  It
    came out quite easily, as the unfitted length of the old spring was
    only about 1/2" longer than the distance between the spring perches
    with the wheel at full travel.  (It did NOT take off for the ceiling
    like a rocket.)  Once the top is out from under the top perch, the
    spring easily slides off over the shock.

5)  fit new shock at the bottom.

6)  fit new spring over the new shock.  Place both in position under the
    top spring perch.  Either lower the car or raise the wheel until the top
    shock mount is in place.

7)  bolt things back together and you're done.

Good luck,
Mike
'70 Spit, '75 Spit, '76 Spit, and some other stuff
http://www.unmc.edu/~mburdick