Re: GT6 Front spring/shock

To: Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com
Subject: Re: GT6 Front spring/shock
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 21:33:08 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>   I have the compressors that lool like two hooks on a long bolt. My plan
>is to:
>1 jack up the car
>2 put on the clamps (180 apart)
>3 unbolt the shock on the top
>4 unbolt the lower shock
>5 slip out the assembly
>6 remove the clamps (slowly)
>7 reverse proceedure
>   There some thing wrong with that process?

Richard,

If memory serves me, the GT6 front shock/spring is the same as the Spitfire.

I remove the whole assembly from the car - 3 small nuts at the top and the
bushing bolt at the bottom - then use the coil spring compressors to back off
the spring once it's out.

One caveat - PLEASE! That spring is under tremendous tension. As you start
unscrewing the nuts on the top post, keep a very close eye on the jaws of the
compressors - they have been know to slip off. After removing the two jamb
nuts and the top plate, SLOWLY AND EVENLY unscrew the compressors. You don't
want the springs getting away from you.

Then you reverse the order.
Charlie B.
Capital Triumph Register