TR6 headers question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 headers question
From: tgentr@rw1.rworld.com
Date: 18 Jun 1996 18:38:58 EDT
EM>My 74 TR6 has an old (14-15 years old) set of what I think are Monza
EM>headers on them. The way they are bent, there is virtually zero
EM>clearance between the number 1 pipe and the outermost lower front
EM>attachment studs. The same situation exists with number 6 pipe and
EM>lower rear stud. There is barely enough room to get an open end wrench
EM>on the nuts to tighten or remove. In fact, the clearance is so tight,
EM>that if I fit the headers all the way to the head, I can't start the
EM>nut on the stud, because the nut fouls on the pipe. I have to start the
EM>nut with a gap between the flange and the head, and then draw the whole
EM>thing down bit by bit. And with no clearence, it really is bit by bit.
EM>Does anyone have experience with a later version of these or another
EM>brand of headers that are more user friendly?

I can verify that your header probably is a Monza, and as of 4 years
ago (when I got mine) they weren't any better.  The first (non-Monza)
header I bought was a chrome one from VB and it wasn't even close to
fitting the head.  The Monza fit well but it is tight.  Next time maybe
I'll try one of the stainless headers.

Tom Gentry
Life is too short to drive boring cars!