Re: Sarasota, Florida Trip, numbers matching

To: smith007@intnet.net, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sarasota, Florida Trip, numbers matching
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 20:25:24 -0400
In a message dated 96-06-18 23:45:07 EDT, smith007@IntNet.net (PHILIP SMITH)
writes:

>This is what I found VIN:1975 Made in Feb.
>#cf35036uo maybe? Engine:c58819e maybe? Am I correct, that this is not the
>original engine? Is this a 1976 engine ,or is it possible this is the
>original. I would like to return, take the car to a British mechanic, have
>him check it out and possibly make an offer. If the engine and body match?
>Can anybody help?
>
>                                         Not SO Soon To Be TR6 Owner
>                                         Still Bark'N Up A Tree

hmmm.... That sounds like a big difference in numbers for that car to have
left the factory with that engine, but you may not be able to tell for
certain without getting BMIHT production record. For instance: my 1973 TR6 is
car no. CF870-U. From my recently obtained BMIHT production certificate, I
now know that this car was built on 10 October 1972 and left the factory with
engine no. CF1015-UE.
Why are car numbers and engine numbers out of sequence ? how far out of
sequence were they by Feb. 1975 ?  I'd like to know, but I wouldn't let it be
afactor in whether or not to buy the car. IMHO I would make the purchase
decision based on how sound the body is and how functional (rather than
original) the engine is. As a mater of fact, the number on the block doesn't
even assure you that the head originally came with it. My 73 TR6 came from
the DPO with an earlier CC series engine sitting under a later CF series head
that is correct for a 1973 TR6. (no Nick,  this early engine and late head is
not for sale and you wouldn't pay the freight from right coast to left coast
anyway :-)  )
And if you think all this is confusing, just wait till you get that wonderful
LBC home and start to tinker with it !

Good luck !
Jack Mc