re: 'tricking" an ignition coil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: 'tricking" an ignition coil
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 21:13:57 -0400
Cc: british-cars@autox.team.net
Hey group(s)

After all the recent hub-bub about 6v. versus 12v. coils, and their related
ballast resistors, I thought I would check out the differences between the
two actual spark outputs - strictly visual, nothing scientific.

What I did was take a couple of different coils, on the work bench, and
hooked them up (one at a time, of course) to a 12 volt power supply. I first
tried a simple 1-amp bench test supply and then a 4-amp charger. All negative
leads were clipped to a common "chassis" ground. The positive lead from the
power supply was clipped to the "+" terminal of the coils. I tried different
types of secondary leads, i.e. spark plug wires and alligator clip test
leads.

My thoughts were that if I quickly connected and disconnected the "-" lead at
the coil, simulating the opening and closing of points, I should get a spark
from the secondary side. Nothing!

Is my thinking sound, or am I overlooking something so simple I'm going to go
"duh"? Is there another part of this circuit I'm forgetting? Theoretically,
by making and collapsing field in the primary winding, there should be a
discharge at the secondary.

Thanks for the help.

Looking for an answer,
Charlie B.