Re: 'tricking" an ignition coil

To: CBrown1500@aol.com
Subject: Re: 'tricking" an ignition coil
From: Metwrench@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 22:34:23 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net

<< My thoughts were that if I quickly connected and disconnected the "-" lead
at
 the coil, simulating the opening and closing of points, I should get a spark
 from the secondary side. Nothing!

Your thoughts and experiments should have worked, My electrical freind. By
putting bat + on the + side of the coil, and Neg - on the - side of the coil,
then rapidly (very fast) on, off, on, off with the negative side, should Make
and Break the connection, thus Collapsing the windings, inducing a spark at
the Secondary tower. I do this trick with my Auto Students all the time. Do
you have the secondary side leading to a Neg point (ground) ? You must give
the spark somewhere to travel... You should get about a 12kv output, maybe
even more !

 Let me know Charlie.......

 John P Spofford
 Automotive Vocational Instructor