Re: Oil Pressure and Stuff

To: LANG@isis.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure and Stuff
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 21:13:19 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

<< Hi,

 In summer you should use 20-50w oil. 10-30 is way too thin!

 Your oil pressure should be >75 psi cold at idle, 50 psi at normal
 operating temp at idle. If it's less than that, your main bearings or rod
 bearings are worn or your oil pump is out of spec. If it's real hot, mine
 never gets below 30 psi at idle, and that usually means it's time to
 change the oil!

 My TR6 has been that way for all 85K plus miles on it. I changed the
 bearings at around 80K miles because the pressure started dropping a bit
 when the car was hot. New bearings got the pressure back up to "normal".

Hey group, let's do an informal survey on oil pressures. I've go two Spits,
both running 20w-50 Valvoline Durablend. On hot summer days, after a highway
drive, or a couple of autocross runs, my pressures drop to about 15 psi at
idle. Is that 50 psi typical for bigger block TRs? How about you other Spit
drivers - you guys have installed a real oil pressure gauge, haven't you?

Just curious,
Charlie B.
Capital Triumph Register