Oil Pressure Woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Pressure Woes
From: Rtrickey@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 09:58:09 -0400
There seems to be a great deal of concern about oil pressure readings in our
Triumphs and in some cases such as recently rebuilt engines, no doubt good
reason for concern.  But let's face the fact that for those of us with cars
with unknown rebuild (if any) history, we may be causing ourselves undo
stress when we see 15 to 20 pounds of oil pressure on the gauge when running
at hot temperatures such as during the summer time.  For the longest time I
worried and contemplated what to do and if it was indeed safe to drive and
enjoy my earlier TR's before a "proper rebuild" to avoid engine damage.
During consultation with an old "salty and crusty" mechanic he advised to
quit worrying about the low oil pressure during idle and enjoy the car and
unless I was prepared to rebuild the engine now.  Further, he noted that the
car had possibly been running for years in its current state and that no
doubt would eventually need a rebuild, but drive it for now and when the time
comes to rebuild worry about it then.
Obviously, this may not be the best advice for all of us but it sure gave me
peace of mind for the next 3 years while driving my Spitfire before selling
and advising the new owner of the above.
Since then I have rebuilt completely a 1965 TR4A and drive daily and have two
1963 TR4s to rebuild in the future.
My two cents....

Rebe Trickey
1965 TR4A