Re: TR6 Oil Pressure

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Oil Pressure
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 18:26:50 -0400
Hey Brian,

Are you absolutely, positively sure that when you installed the spin-on
convertor, you located the o-ring correctly against the block mating sur-
face ?  That looks to me to be the most dangerous part of installing one
of those, which I too have, on my TR-250 (along with TRF's external oil
line to the rocker shaft, but that's irrelevant here).

I used wheel bearing grease to hold that little o-ring in its groove, be-
cause I think if it's displaced or mashed you would have a short-circuit
in the oil path--I'd like to hear any other TR owners' opinions on this,
too, especially those who have the spin-on cenversions.

The reason I'm wondering about this is that a few years ago a friend's
TR-6 launched rods #1 and #5 sideways out thru the block, and upon our
autopsy of the engine, we found a mashed, displaced o-ring in the spin-
on convertor. Could the oil pump have been madly pumping oil in a tight
circle, with that displaced o-ring providing the short-circuit ??

I think we need something else to worry about, just trying to help.

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
TR-250
Miami Valley TRiumphs