HALP!!!!

To: British Cars Digest <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: HALP!!!!
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 08:19:49 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: Triumph Cars List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
        Okay,

        I'll admit it this time Ole GM's got me stumped... I have been
        contending with a problem with my TR4 that has me running in circles.
        It is running rough most of the time,(but especially when cold).
        Once warm it will idle just fine, however when I rev it there's a
        slight hesitation before the engine speeds up. Starting up from a
        stop, (under load) it chugs until the RPMs get higher, on
        accelleration when hot, I get a misfire from about 3700 RPMs.
        It will cruise okay, but I still sense a misfire. After starting
        when hot (especially when it's warm out) It willmisfire severely
        for the first couple accellerations.

        WHAT I'VE DONE

        Tuned with new points, plugs, and condenser, New rotor cap, and
        sparkplugs lines... I balanced and adjusted the carb mixture.
        The spark plugs have a light brown deposit on them that looks normal
        (not white, too lean, or black, too rich) I sawpped out the coil for
        an old one I had lying about. The symptoms were identical. I have
        swapped back and forth with the old stuff to see if any of the above
        are defective, no change.

        I checked compression and found #1cylinder low (130 as compared to
        155 for the rest of the cylinders). I have replaced that piston.
        The engine runs smoother and idles better (it doesn't search like
        it used to).

        THINGS I'M THINKING ABOUT

        Fuel feed, I'm still planning to install an electric fuel pump in
        the car, but until I know for sure what's ailing it I'm a bit
        hesitant. I'm thinking perhaps the the Supertrap muffler is blocked
        and causing the back up. Basically I'm stumped I'v run out of Ideas
        and before I turn to the professional and grovel I figure I'd
        grovel to you folks.

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois