Re: Re[2]: Overdirve Diff in a Mk3 Spit?? (GT6 diff in a 1500?)

To: Linus.Surguy@uk.drsolomon.com
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Overdirve Diff in a Mk3 Spit?? (GT6 diff in a 1500?)
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 15:58:22 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Mon, 24 Jun 1996 Linus.Surguy@uk.drsolomon.com wrote:

>     Actually, to confuse this a bit, I have been thinking of doing a
>     similar alteration to my spit 1500 (UK 76), but in this case, changing
>     the 3.89:1 diff with the 3.27:1 diff that was placed in some GT6's,
>     however the trouble I have is that I dont know which GT6s I should be
>     looking for, - I believe so far that it should be the late Mark IIIs,
>     but its difficult to be sure.

This should be a fairly easy swap. Most non-overdrive-equipped GT6s used
the 3.27 diff. The very late GT6 Mk.3 dropped the Rotoflex rear
suspension in favor of a swing-spring setup virtually identical to the
Spitfire 1500. This would be the easiest diff to use if you could find
it. After that, though, any GT6 diff. should be ok; you need only "plug"
the two center holes on top, as they are redundant with your spring
(held down by only 4 studs).

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *