TR6 Gearbox Woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Gearbox Woes
From: Nettater@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 08:54:39 -0500
Cc: british-cars@autox.team.net
Fellow Scions,

I knew I was setting myself up yesterday when I signed that my TR6 was almost
a daily driver...of course, last night it decided to test my stamina yet
again.  I recently replaced the diff on my 6, with a *new to me* diff.  Last
night, upon returning home, I noticed a disturbing noise emanating from the
gearshift area; it sounded similar to a pocket of change jangling.
 Fortunately, I was three blocks from home when it happened.  My questions
are:

1)  I thought I caught a whiff of hypoy yesterday morning, and chose a
*clean* space in the parking garage (the better to note any new drips).  Is
it possible that this smell was a symptom I failed to notice ?  (There were
no marks under the car when I left the parking garage around lunch.)

2)  The symptom (or so I thought) the last time I *hurt* the rear end had
begun as a constant chattering noise seeming to come from the gearshift area.
 In an attempt to diagnose, I had limited my test drives to close to home.
 It was during one such outing that I reversed rather hard, causing the clunk
that meant new diff.  Are these noises related to the diff going ?  If so,
what the heck am I doing wrong ?!?

Input welcome.

Carol Z.
74 TR6 (resting)