Re: TR6 REAR AXLES

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 REAR AXLES
From: kedwards@norfolk.infi.net (Keith A. Edwards)
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 19:01:26 -0500 (EST)
Cc: dynamic@pbgi.com, "LANG, DONALD" <lang.dcrp@mhs.unc.edu>
Pete Chadwell wrote:

>I have a 1973 240Z alongside my TR6 right now.  And, way back when, before
>I rebuilt the TR motor, I was contemplating this swap, as a good friend of
>mine raced a 240Z, and had lots of parts lying around to gaze at and
>measure.  I concluded that it would never work.  A quick glance at the Z
>motor next to a TR6 motor is all that is needed.  The L24 motor (240Z) has
>seven main bearings, and seems to be half again as long as the TR motor,
>which only has four mains. The three additional mains make for a VERY long
>crank! It is a nice motor, but I still like the TR better.  I suppose that
>with a full shop behind him, a guy could make the L24 fit, but I don't
>think it would be worth it!!  We considered several motor swaps before I
>rebuilt my TR6 motor, and I know I made the right choice!
>
>Pete Chadwell
>
>P.S. If anyone is interested, I wrote my own TR6/240Z comparison article
>for the car club that I belong to (British Car Club of Southern Oregon)  I
>could post it on the list if you'd like... It also was "published" by the
>Portland Triumph Owners Association, in their "Triumph Trax" newsletter

My understanding was that the 240Z engine was much longer than the TR6
engine, as Pete states.  I have always known that the TR6 engine was much
more compact than that in a Healey 3000.  A recent issue of Chatter
magazine, newsletter of the Austin-Healey Club of America, had a detailed
article on the installation of a Z engine in a Healey.  I was _very
surprised_ to learn that the Datsun engine and tranny bolts right into a
Healey with no cutting or drilling.  It seems to be no coincidence that the
motormount is in the identical location on both engines.

Datsun was known for "copying" designs from British car manufacturers.  The
Fairlady front letters certainly looked like they came from a TR, and I have
heard that an MG head will bolt up to one of the Fairlady engines (or is it
vice versa?).

Keith Edwards
Suffolk, VA
kedwards@norfolk.infi.net