Cold weather storage part 2

To: dynamic@pbgi.com
Subject: Cold weather storage part 2
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 06:24:37 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Okay Pete:

Okay, I'll respond. Without coolant in the engine, the water jackets will be
exposed to oxygen and moisture from the residual coolant. Those two things are
pretty bad for the cast iron inside an engine. A scale of rust will build up
and
that rust will be transported through the system next year. One winter probably
ain't no big deal, however.

My concern would be for the water pump and, possibly, the thermostat and, if a
Triumph has them, the heater valve. It has been my experience that, once rubber
parts are in contact with coolant, they will swell slightly. When the coolant
is
taken away, they'll shrink and crack. Therefore, I wouldn't be at all surprised
if
the water pump leaks six weeks into next spring's driving season.

The residual coolant sitting on the thermostat will eventually dry out. If it
leaves the scale and old goo behind, the thermostat may stick on start up.

Fianlly, if a heater valve exists with rubber seals, they could have the same
possible problems as the water pump.

If it were me and I was going to leave the motor dry, I'd just plan on
replacing
the water pump next season and wing the rest.

A digest lurker,

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69MGC/GT, '75TR6