Re: Fly wheel removal???

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fly wheel removal???
From: dynamic@pbgi.com (Pete & Aprille Chadwell)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 15:57:25 -0800 (PST)
>Ok tranny is on the floor,  Guess what, the ring gear looks like it has full
>life left to it,  but it had slide further away from the starter gear.
>
>While I pounded it back on and could most likely reinstall every thing I was
>woundering if any body could tell me how to get the flywheel off ,so that I
>could turn the ring gear around the way it was meant to be not the way the
>factory left it.

Chet:

You're gonna need an assistant.  That is unless you have the $dough$ to buy
a special tool made just for this operation.  What I have done in the past
is this:  Find one of the bellhousing locating dowels... I guess there's
just one... at the top of the rear engine plate (above the flywheel).  Now,
if you've got a rather long and very sturdy flat-blade screwdriver, stick
it in (from the engine compartment side) so that it rests against the
dowel, and so that the blade settles into one of the teeth of the ring
gear.  Have the assistant hold the screwdriver firmly in place while you
wrench on the four flywheel bolts.  the screwdriver will prevent, with some
effort, the flywheel and motor from rotating.

I would guess that maybe you ought to replace the ring gear if it has come
loose. Not sure about this, but it seems to me that since the gear is heat
shrunk into place, it may not want to go through that process again.  Take
it to a machine shop and see what they think.  You'll need them to
reinstall the ring gear correctly, anyway, regardless of whether or not you
buy a new one.  Just make sure that they put the bevel of the ring gear on
the correct side... toward the engine!!

Pete Chadwell