Re: TRF tech line...not v. nice

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TRF tech line...not v. nice
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 19:31:02 -0800
Ken Streeter wrote:

> Marcus Tooze wrote:
> >
> > Heres a quick story...
>
> > I just got off the phone with the TRF tech line. I called them because
> > there is a bushing on my TVR that I suspect is from a spitfire (upper and
>lower
> > inner a-arm front susp.). I wanted somebody to measure one
> > to see if it  matched the one I have on my TVR, if it did...I
> > would then purchase it. The guy asked me if I had a TR part number, to
> > which I replied no, but it looked a lot like a spit a-arm bushing,
> > could he measure it for me. The guy launcehd into a monologue about
> > how I should call a TVR dealer, or Gene Bird to get one. I said they
> > didn't have them available.  He then carried on saying how
> > this wasn't how they normally conducted business and that he needed
> > a part number and couldn't go running around measuring bushings (I only
> > wanted him to measure one, the spit one). This
> > went on for 10 minutes, with me saying "but, I only want you
> > to measure one..." only to be interupted
> > in mid-sentence by him telling me how I should call TVR for the part.
> >  Finally he broke down
> > and looked up the number on the computer to go get a bushing to measure.
> > Out of stock.
> >
> > I've never ordered anything from TRF for the whole time I've I've
> > owned/ran british cars, because they are always out of stock and they are
> > expensive. This mans rudeness pretty much capped it for me....

I am relatively new to the Triumph world after a 30 year absence from
Triumph ownership.  When I purchased my TR8 A little over a year ago I
needed a number of small items, hoses, decals, clock, door trim for
door glass, etc.  I found TRF tech support to be very helpful on several
items and after comparing prices they were competetive.  I also purchased
a mirror for the right side of the car and oil pressure SW after
returning the ones to moss and VB due to them not matching the original
mirror and incorrect SW.  I might add that none of the item were
backordered.  I also purchased a set of catlytic converters cheaper that
any of the others.  I have also ordered and received several items from
the other supppliers with little problems except the above.

I don't know any long term history of TRF  other that what I have seen on
the net here but I am satisfied.  I am patient and understand that
everyone can't stock everything.  As for the poor response on the tech
line I would probably have to agree with you if it had happened to me,
but I wasn't there.

I also agree with some of the positive comments I have heard about
suppliers and the cost of stocking/producing some of the items especially
the older older ones to support sales etc.  We need to understand their
problems also and support as many as possible and provide feedback TO
THEM on the service received.

If disatisfied write to the owner and express your feelings in a positive
manner.  If they are interested in continuing to serve the community it
will carry some weight toward improving service.  I have spent 25 years
in management and learned many years ago to listen to to your customers
and employees or you won't be there long.

Joe Worsley
80 TR8 DHC