Re: TRF tech line...not v. nice

To: Marcus Tooze <mtooze@tan.unl.edu>
Subject: Re: TRF tech line...not v. nice
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 17:48:56 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Marcus Tooze wrote:

> Heres a quick story...

> I just got off the phone with the TRF tech line. I called them because
> there is a bushing on my TVR that I suspect is from a spitfire (upper and
>lower
> inner a-arm front susp.). I wanted somebody to measure one
> to see if it  matched the one I have on my TVR, if it did...I
> would then purchase it. The guy asked me if I had a TR part number, to
> which I replied no, but it looked a lot like a spit a-arm bushing,
> could he measure it for me. The guy launcehd into a monologue about
> how I should call a TVR dealer, or Gene Bird to get one. I said they
> didn't have them available.  He then carried on saying how
> this wasn't how they normally conducted business and that he needed
> a part number and couldn't go running around measuring bushings (I only
> wanted him to measure one, the spit one). This
> went on for 10 minutes, with me saying "but, I only want you
> to measure one..." only to be interupted
> in mid-sentence by him telling me how I should call TVR for the part.
>  Finally he broke down
> and looked up the number on the computer to go get a bushing to measure.
> Out of stock.
>
> I've never ordered anything from TRF for the whole time I've I've
> owned/ran british cars, because they are always out of stock and they are
> expensive. This mans rudeness pretty much capped it for me....

Marcus,

 I'm sorry to hear about your bad experiences with one of the
major TR parts vendors.

 I would suggest that you take the above text, especially as you've
already typed it in, and send it to the following address, as a
personal letter to Charles:

        Charles Runyan
        The Roadster Factory
        PO Box 332
        Armagh PA  15920

 If you know the name of the individual you spoke with, it should
be mentioned in the letter.

 It is difficult for companies to correct their customer service
problems
if those in a position to do something about it (senior management)
don't
find out.  Letting us on the list may help somewhat, but won't help TRF
fix the problem. There are so few dedicated parts suppliers left that
I'm
now of the  opinion that we should try to aid them in their quest to
provide better service.  Each time a major supplier goes out of
business,
we all suffer!  If they don't want to listen, then that's another
problem...

--ken
'74 TR6 Daily Driver

--