Re: TR3 -- A vs. B?

To: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Subject: Re: TR3 -- A vs. B?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:36:48 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On 21 Feb 1997 Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV wrote:

> Iıve seen a lot of postings referring to either TR3Aıs or Bıs, but
> whatıs the difference between them?  Is it related simply to the year of
> production, or something else?

> My father used to have a TR3 (ı63), but I have no idea whether it would
> have been classified as an A or B...

Hard to say. What makes a TR3B different from a TR3A is primarily a
TR4-style all-synchro transmission in all 3,331 of the cars built, and (as
standard equipment in the last 2,800 or so) the TR4's 2.2 liter engine.

TR3As carried TS commission number prefixes. Earlier TR3Bs were TSF series
and later ones were TCF series.

These all were built in 1962 from tooling shipped from Mulliners to the
Forward Radiator factory by Triumph. Supposedly, North American dealers
were convinced they could keep selling the old-style car perhaps more
easily than they could sell the new Michelotti-styled TR4. The fact that
so many TR3Bs ended up being registered as 1963 models (even though they
were all built in calendar year 1962) may have proven those reluctant
dealers wrong.

Nonetheless, it makes for a bit more collectible late sidescreen TR, at
least when comparing originals or correctly restored cars. In truth, many
earlier TR3s and TR3As have been brought up to specification of the TR3B
simply because the extra .2 liter displacement is desirable and 83mm
pistons and liners are hard to come by; also the all-synchro gearbox is a
plus for many folks.

Frankly, when comparing originals, a TR3A is in some ways better. For
example, it was not at all uncommon to find all-vinyl interiors in the
TR3B, as opposed to the leather facing more common on earlier cars. And,
since TR3Bs seem largely to have been assembled from various piles of
leftover bits and pieces, there is often less rhyme or reason in build
specification and perhaps quality as well than was normal for Triumph
during the period. And, finally, documentation of build is a bit sparse on
the 3Bs.

That said, I think they're neat, and I have both because of that (and
because I'm a sucker for neglected orphan Triumphs).

--Andy