Re: TR3 -- A vs. B?

To: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 -- A vs. B?
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 16:12:41 -0800
At  3:10 PM 2/21/97 -0800, Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV wrote:
>I¼ve seen a lot of postings referring to either TR3A¼s or B¼s, but what¼s the
>difference between them?  Is it related simply to the year of production, or
>something else?
>
>My father used to have a TR3 (¼63), but I have no idea whether it would have
>been classified as an A or B...
>----

To answer your question TR3B comision numbers were TSF1 - TSF530 and TCF1 -
TCF2804  Some TS commission numbered cars that did not sell during the
previous year were given a year plate to put on the bulkhead. to make them
the next model year car and not the previous model year car.  This does not
make them a true TR3B though.

The TR3B was created in response to American dealer's fears that they
wouldn't be able to sell them new boxy TR4s.  I believe they built an extra
3000 or so for the American network.

Full syncro transmissions were installed from TSF1.

The engines with 86 mm were optional since 1958.  As engine manufacturing
switched over to 86mm pistons as standard, they went into all 3Bs at TCF1.

The factory turned off some of their suppliers and switched some over to
TR4 parts.  So as they ran out of TR3 parts they substituted TR4 parts such
as the front letters.  They used this oppertunity to clean out older parts
sitting in corners as well.  Its no wonder that a TR3B can cause the
concourse set a lot of confusion.

Interestingly, every TR3B I have seen had the windscreen washer installed.
Also a lot of the TR3Bs ended up with the wide mouth valance made off the
original wide mouth tooling.  The factory switched over to a different
front valance tool  in the TS72000 -TS75500 time frame.

TeriAnn Wakeman            "Large format photographers look
Santa Cruz California       at the world upside down and
twakeman@scruznet.com       backwards"