Re: 76 spit rear end trouble?

To: Barry Schwartz <Bschwartz@encad.com>
Subject: Re: 76 spit rear end trouble?
From: Paul Nelson <aloder@websgi.icomnet.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:04:00 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Barry Schwartz wrote:

> Paul writes:
>     <    snip   >
> >BTW, I ran outta daylight, but once the wife goes to work in the morning
> >I plan on putting the rear on jackstands and pulling the cover plate to
> >see what it looks like. Anything imparticular I should look for?
> Well Paul, it appears you've never looked at a Spitfire differential <G>.
> There is no 'cover' to remove.  In fact, really no way to peer inside
> without removing the entire unit.  But you might have a sheared axle/hub key
> which when the car is on the ground will act like one wheel is on ice.  Look
> under the car while ALL the wheels are chocked both ways, parking brake on
> and a person in the car with foot firmly planted on the brake (never be too
> careful here).  Then see if one of the rear axles is turning when the car is
> in gear, without the wheel turning with it.  If so thats your problem and
> will require dismantling the affected wheel/hub/axle assy and replacing
> whats broken/damaged.  Differentials, when broken as you describe _usually_
> make all kinds of 'marbles in a blender' noise when they go -
>
> Barry Schwartz
> Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)
> 72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
> 70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
> 70 Spitfire (project on hold for now)

        Barry, your right about me never looking at the diff before. I've been
working on the cockpit and engine for the three weeks I've had the car.
I suppose I would of figured it out when I got under there.
I'll be working on it in about an hour, so I'll let you know how it
goes. I too would have thought that there would be more noise if the
Diff went out.
        Thanks, Paul Nelson
                76 Spitfire