Re: 76 spit rear end trouble?

To: aloder@websgi.icomnet.com
Subject: Re: 76 spit rear end trouble?
From: npenney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 08:14:13 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Well my 76 Spit engine runs now, rather well considering it's down time.
>Then I thought I had a bad slave cylinder. I bled the clutch fluid, the
>old fluid was nasty, replished as necessary. The slave seems to be doing
>its job, but when I release the clutch in any gear there's no movement.
>Then I took a peek at the drive shaft ,the drive shaft spins, in reverse
>as well, but no vehicular motion is taking place. My experience is
>limited, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Your friend is right, it's not good.

Hmmm, here's a way to diagnose the failure following the operations of the rear.
1  Check the pinion and ring gear by spinning the driveshaft by hand.  If the
big
ring gear is turning, that's working.  If not, determine if the shaft you see
spinning has any teeth or not, or if the ring gear it's connected to has
stripped
teeth.
2  Check the spider gears.  Those are that strange looking cage like thingie in
the
center of the rear end.  Are there gears on it?  If not, that's the failure.
If yes,
and it's turning, go to three
3  Check the axle shaft splines.  Gone?

In any case, you don't really want to replace a single component without going
through the entire rear for whatever else has been damaged.  Kinda like
replacing one
piston on a blown engine without bothering to do a teardown.