Re: 76 spit rear end trouble?

Subject: Re: 76 spit rear end trouble?
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: 24 Feb 97 15:36:18 GMT
Apparently-to: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
Paul writes:
    <    snip   >
>BTW, I ran outta daylight, but once the wife goes to work in the morning
>I plan on putting the rear on jackstands and pulling the cover plate to
>see what it looks like. Anything imparticular I should look for?
Well Paul, it appears you've never looked at a Spitfire differential <G>.
There is no 'cover' to remove.  In fact, really no way to peer inside
without removing the entire unit.  But you might have a sheared axle/hub key
which when the car is on the ground will act like one wheel is on ice.  Look
under the car while ALL the wheels are chocked both ways, parking brake on
and a person in the car with foot firmly planted on the brake (never be too
careful here).  Then see if one of the rear axles is turning when the car is
in gear, without the wheel turning with it.  If so thats your problem and
will require dismantling the affected wheel/hub/axle assy and replacing
whats broken/damaged.  Differentials, when broken as you describe _usually_
make all kinds of 'marbles in a blender' noise when they go -

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)
72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)