Re: Floor Pans

To: kbrown@trmx3.dot.ca.gov, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Floor Pans
From: "Jonathan Miles" <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 09:16:32
> Hi list members,
>
> A friend of mine who is doing the welding part of my floorboard replacement
>has
> suggested brazing the floors in. The system he wants to use has the flux flow
> through the gas and he states that it ideal for thin metals such as sheet
> metal. He is a very experienced welder/machinist having worked for several
> factory race teams including Accura and Jag, not to mention that he is a
> perfectionist. Anyone on the list have experience with this type of brazing or
> other recommendations?
>
> All comments welcomed and appreciated,
> Ken TR250, ex Flintstones mobile

I suspect that this brazing is ideal only in the sense that it is
easy to do and may look neat.  Truth is that if you want to retain
the original strength of the car the floor pans must be properly seam
welded in. Spot welds or plug welds can then be used where the
factory originaly spot welded eg. sills and other full, non-repair
panels.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

Spitfire 1500