Gas tank cleanout

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, up497@freenet.victoria.bc.ca
Subject: Gas tank cleanout
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 97 10:48:12 -0400
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     Hi John,

     Maybe you, or others, could offer me some advice here. You wrote:

     "Also managed to remove the gas tank-- and clean it.  Everything looks
     fine about the tank, except for evidence of two small patches.  I used

     the gas that was siphoned out to clean the outside-- which reminds me,
     gasoline dissolved asphalt undercoating.  Someone asked about this,
     but I realise that gasoline is NOT really a safe product to be rubbing
     all over your car."

     I took the gas tank out of my TR3 last night, and it had a little bit
     of something sloshing around in it that was definitely not gasoline
     (or petrol either). It was red, and so far three people have not been
     able to identify it by smell. It's somewhere between Varsol and
     industrial hand cleaner.

     Anyway, I'm wondering what's the recommended way to clean the tank
     out. So far I can't really tell if there's rust in there, but there's
     at least sludge. (The car's been parked since 1970). It's hard to tell
     what's going on through the small "viewing ports". Anyone got a home
     remedy?

     TIA,
     Jim Wallace
     60 TR3